November 7, 2009

Cover Art Something Visceral Vol.1

For me, it was The Low End Theory. I listened to it front to back and over again countless times. And then I saw the cover. Although it provides minimal description of the music inside, there's an blatant Native Tongue vibe that can be picked up instantly. But beneath the surface, there's so much to pick up on if you look closer. The representation of ATCQ as green with wavy letters provides an wealth of context. Meaning, that if the group name and album name were left out of the image, the image would be left open to interpretation and quite probably deconstructed with darker symbolism.
With this series, I'm not trying to be an art professor by any means, just trying to shed some light and open some eyes on some of the iller and more slept-on album covers.

Zion I- The Takeover
Maybe it was the effect of growing up on comic books that renders this illustration dope to me, or maybe it's the cinematic qualities that leap through the image and plant themselves in your imagination.


Wu Tang Clan- Iron Flag
The sheer concept of planting the Wu flag can be taken so many ways. Historically, the Clan has placed their mark on every imaginable facet of dope hip hop. The photographic qualities of the image add an immeasurable amount of illness to the image.



Kazi and Madlib-Down For The Kaz
This may quite possibly be my favorite album cover of all time. It draws from so many of the classic indie hip hop inspirations: graffiti, comic books, and individualism. You feel like you know the character of Kazi before you hear one loop or one rhyme. That's what a good cover can convey.


Sweatshop Union- Local 604
The haunting cityscape has such an lasting impression on me. In fact, every time I look at this cover it sends chills through my body. It doesn't even register as an album cover, as much as it does an genuine piece of art.


Think Twice-With A Loop And Some Swing
The sheer abstract qualities of this cover make it so great. Nothing I could put into words, but visually it says so much.

3 comments:

  1. Yup! some of em' are just ill (especially the first two and the last one) but you just overhyped the Kazi one. ....

    Did ya received my mail bout you gettin back to cover up some reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I didn't. If you could send it again it would be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

 

Ill Cuts © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness