May 18, 2010

'94 Vs. '88 Tape

Almost exactly a year ago, I got at the good people of DotGotIt.com, with an idea to contest the two greatest years in hip-hop history ('94 and '88). As a purist, I jumped at the opportunity to hold down the '94 side of the tape. You have the obvious choices with Illmatic, Word...Life, Ready To Die, and the countless other classics that were released that year. But there's also tapes that didn't receive that same critical acclaim, yet they house an out-of-place gem. How about On And On off Shyheim's AKA The Rugged Child? Downright illness from a teenage Wu-affiliate. Or what about Part Deux from Fat Joe's Jealous One's Envy? Everyone remembers Primo's remix of Shit Is Real, but where's the love for Don Cartagena as a punchline rap czar? Blame it on the short memory span, but '94 is much more than a handful of classic albums.

That was the intent for the '94 side of the tape. For every Flava In Ya Ear, there would be a Down For The Real. I folded to the pressure, and ended up with too many classics, but shit still bangs far ruffer than '88. Believe that.
With all that said, I present to you the '94 vs. '88 tape. Brought to you by Illcuts.com and Dotgotit.com, with special considerations due to Cenzi for the artwork and DJ Grandman for the mixing on the '88 side. An huge shout to my dude Elmattic for the mixing and suggestions for the '94 side.
Lastly, don't front on the 94. You can't tell me '88 is a better year for hip-hop than '94 with a straight face.


'94 Side:


9 comments:

  1. Here it is with a straight face, "1988 was the best year in hip hop EVER. 1994 is second." Of course, this is definitely an age related issue because those were my formative high school and college years. 88 set it off, 94 continued it. With all that being said, I'm damn sure I will enjoy the mix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No doubt Vincent. But 1994 was a better year for hip-hop than 1934, on the real.

    Yo Guy though, how come Dot got 38 dang tracks when we only had 10?! There were a lot more cuts we could have laid in there. Sequel...?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, they cheated and they already admitted it, we could have laced the tape with more gems given the opportunity. Still all love though, I think both tapes are dope, and yeah we'll definitely have to work on a sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, man, 1934, those dustbowl cats were throwing down on the mic. Really though. 'Minnie the Moocher', G! 'Who Put The Benzedrine In Mrs. Murphy's Ovaltine'! Shit was hype. In 1934.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guy, holla at me with what tracks you woulda added, and I'll try and find some flavor to add to it. See if I have any c.1994 shout-outs on my old radio tapes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need this like forreal, can someone reup this one...links dead. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Use the mediafire link my dude:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?mmtmzkthl2m

    ReplyDelete

 

Ill Cuts © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness