September 30, 2009

5th Flow Interview

Another older interview from the HHHead days. This one is with Houston-based 5th Flow, a threesome that makes an eclectic brand of music everyone should listen to once. I did this interview shortly after they dropped the mixtape Quarter To A Half. You can stream that shit on their site. Or you can cop the tape here.
For reading clarity; Supreme, Rahlo, and JClay are the three members that make up 5th Flow.

What type of new stuff have you guys been working on lately?

Rahlo: Our new single, "I'm on it". Also new tracks for the vinyl 4 mixtape.
Supreme: We also started working on our album "Trafficin".

How do you feel about the biased view of the south and what are you guys doing to avoid that label of "trapstar" or "d-boy turned rapper"?

Supreme: Simple, we just not d-boys period, so we're being who we are.
JClay: I don't think there is a biased view to be honest.
Rahlo: I like the biased view because the South is running shit right now. We are not trapstars or d-boys. We are business owners and we project ourselves that way.

What separates 5th Flow from anybody else making music today

Rahlo: The content, the lyrics, the business model.
Supreme: We got an old spirit in us cuz we not tryin to be one hit wonders. We're puttin our soul into every song we have.
JClay: Plus we are not afraid to go against the grain. we make music that we would jam.

What is your one album that you can bump from cover to cover and recite every word?

Supreme: Eminem - Marshall Mathers LP
JClay: Boyz II Men - II
Rahlo: Raekwon - Cuban Links

Who are some Houston artists you grew up listening to?

Supreme: UGK even though they from PA
Rahlo: I’m from Fort Worth, TX. I didn’t grow up listening to any Houston artists. I listened to my cousins' mixtapes and other Fort Worth artists.
JClay: I'm like Rahlo, I'm from Chicago so I didn't grow up listening to many Houston artists either. If it was on the radio, I would jam it, but that's about it.

What is your all-time favorite song you have ever made? What makes that song stand out?

JClay: Wastin My Time. This songs sums up everything I'm feeling about myself and people in general, quit wasting time. Do something wit yo life.
Rahlo: 1988. It paints a vivid picture of what I saw growing up.
Supreme: California Dreamin. That song...everything about it. It's like a movie. I can actually see everything we talk about in the song.
JClay: The funny thing is all of these songs are on the Quarter to a Half Mixtape.

If you could collaborate with any musical artist dead or alive who would it be and why?

JClay: Jazmine Sullivan cuz that girl can sang.
Rahlo: I would colab with Biggie because he was a fat boy too!
Supreme: i would love to collab with Jay-Z and Eminem cuz they the best two rappers.

Who's more influential in your opinion; DJ Screw or The Geto Boys?

Supreme: DJ Screw
JClay: Yep, the same.
Rahlo: DJ Screw

What is a 5th Flow show like?

JClay: It's like...one of though 5 Gum commercials.
Supreme: 5th flow show is full of energy and exciting.
Rahlo: A 5th Flow show is like going to the doctor for HIV test results and if you can imagine the moment you find out that you don’t have it, that's what a 5th Flow show is like.

Their MySpace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Ill Cuts © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness