August 14, 2009

Andre Nickatina- Ghost Of Fillmoe

I've been writing this intro for almost an hour, trying to eloquently describe the illness that is Andre Nickatina. An feat that's nearly impossible to put into words.
Maybe half a year ago I was talking to DJ Haylow about the countless influential West-Coast hip hop artists he has had a chance to meet/interview over the years. Dude's list was impressive, from legends like Ras Kass to turntable maestro's like Exile, to new-school acts like U-N-I and Pac Div, to damn near anybody not named Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, or Suge Knight who ever claimed their domain on the left-coast.
Eventually, I asked about King Nicky, and to my bewilderment Haylow had seen/promptly met Dre Dog at an industry function. And so I asked: "What was he like?", and was met with: "Well, I didn't really get a chance to kick it with him, he came in all dressed up, pimp suit and all, and kept to himself at the back of the club". *That's not by any means a direct nor accurate quote. Paraphrase.*
I also had a friend who saw Nickatina live in concert, and told me more of the same: "Laid-back, loner, and kept to himself".
Then came the classic Strivin' interviews. Here and here. It was in these interviews that Andre himself admitted to a general dislike of interviews, and a shyness that would seem unbecoming of a rapper.
So that's when Andre Nickatina piqued my interest. A rapper that's more than happy to get local recognition and nothing more? A guy that's been in the rap game for 15 years and is still an enigma to almost everyone. As proof, try and find video interviews of Nicky or even 10 different pictures of the god.
In an conscious effort to familiarize myself with his music, I copped nearly his whole discography. I was a Nicky fan before acquiring his entire catalog, but listening to him as Jim Jones, or spitting alongside Equipto and Mac Dre, just made me appreciate the man that much more. He's an unique musical talent.
So, in an effort to raise the awareness of such a dope artist, I put about 8 hours of work into creating an encompassing compilation to give listeners an wide array of what I consider the man's best work.
Enough from me right? All I ask is that you give this tape a chance, and I promise you won't regret it.



And here's an official tracklist:
1. Ghost Of Fillmoe
2. Ate Miles From The City Of Dope
3. Falcon And Snowman (Feat. Equipto)
4. Killa Whale
5. Fears Of A Coke Lord
6. Bakin Soda In Minnesota
7. Fly Like A Bird
8. All Star Chuck Taylors
9. My Rap World
10. Coka Cola
11. Summer In Florida
12. Al Capone Suite
13. Y-U-Smilin
14. Cadillac Girl
15. Jungle
16. I'm A Pisces
17. Daiquiri Factory
18. Bobby Shaw Is My Tiga

2 comments:

  1. Came across your mix on Mexican-taint.blogspot.com. Great mix you put together. I agree with every track. I would have added "Sexy lil neighbor," but then again it's your mix and not mine so I'll keep quiet. I'm sure everyone has their own favorite Nickatina tracks...

    Juna of Junas-addiction.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

 

Ill Cuts © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness